When we are younger a birthday usually means a party with balloons, cake and ice cream. These are the staples of any birthday party. What varies from child to child is the theme. Some may want a Princess party, others Spiderman. But as we get older our birthday often times is "just another day". For me a birthday isn't just the marking of another year past but a celebration of that particular person. A way to recognize all the wonderful things that make them unique. So this year as my Mother-in-law turned 61 we decided to have a "stauerbration" for her, a themed birthday party for Granny. After much pondering and thought I stumbled upon the idea of "Dinner at Tiffany's". This suited Granny's personality perfectly. When my Daughter was younger she referred to her as "The Sparkly Granny" as she is always decked out in a multitude of bracelets, rings and necklaces. So I began scanning the internet for ideas and inspiration for this adult "Birthday Party". There are a lot of great ideas and websites out there, and by piecing these together with a few of my own I came up with a fun décor. All of the party supplies were purchased from either our local Party or Craft store and totaled in cost around $25.
To start with I purchased lots of inexpensive dress-up pearl necklaces. These I draped all over the dining room light fixture to simulate a chandelier. I also picked up children's diamond rings from the same Party store and used these as napkin holders. To re-create the infamous Tiffany box, from Target I purchased an inexpensive roll of tiffany blue colored wrapping paper. Then from the craft store I found some cardboard pressed boxes that came with lids. I wrapped these and tied a white ribbon around them and we had the signature Tiffany Box. My Mother-in-law was delighted by the setting created in her honor. She even wore her tiffany blue sweater to coordinate with the décor. She was most appreciative and thanked me several times for such a nice evening. Deep down we all want to be acknowledged and validated (even though we might say otherwise). And a birthday, no matter what age is a perfect day for that kind of recognition.
3 comments:
LOVIN' IT!!!!
The font is bigger, thank you, and isn't it fun to share your ideas for parties???? I really like your dinner at Tiffany's idea. It's original and great, as usual!!!
Love You!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a clever idea! I love how you decorated and I LOVE THAT YOU ARE BLOGGING!! Happy Thanksgiving!
Great Job STEPHIE!!!! I always enjoy seeing your party decorations...
Post a Comment